Pavilion No. 49 Artek
The pavilion is currently closed. The building is slated for a full-scale renovation, and will be converted to a mixed-use cultural and leisure management centre.
Year built, architect
Built in 1954. Architects: A. O. Kolesnichenko, Grigory G. Savinov
The pavilion's original name was Sheep Farming 2. The building got an annexe in 1959 that was a standalone exhibition space housing the exhibition Reproduction of Farm Animals and Poultry.
A landmark of fundamental historic value to the city.
The pavilion is temporarily closed at this time.
The animal husbandry-themed buildings were originally constructed in wood. As part of the general makeover in preparation for VSKhV's postwar reopening in 1954, the decision was made to rebuild the pavilions in brick and equip them with the most advanced technology available at the time. The design was commissioned from A.O. Kolesnichenko and Grigory Savinov. The new buildings became Pavilions No. 48 and 49 Sheep Farming.
Architecturally, Pavilion No. 49 was identical to Pavilion No. 48. The building got an annexe in 1959 that was a standalone exhibition space housing the exhibition Reproduction of Farm Animals and Poultry.
History of Exhibits
The pavilion's initial focus was the breeding of sheep and goats. The building was then converted to a single huge poultry farm, and served in this capacity through the 1960s and 1970s. After that, the exhibition of technical crops, potatoes and vegetables moved in.
Eventually, the entire exhibition space inside the pavilion was turned over to the exhibition Reproduction of Farm Animals. The exhibition spotlighted the achievements and new know-how in genetic science and rearing of farm animals and crops, developed by leading farms, research institutions and sovkhoz farms.